Saturday, February 19, 2011

Port Vincent, Yorke Peninsula, South Australia

We decided that as we had to wait for mail to get to Gawler from home that instead of heading north to the Flinders Ranges we would take the opportunity of visiting the coast of the Yorke Peninsula, the other side of Adelaide.  We arrived at Port Vincent, a beautiful coastal town and set up camp at the Foreshore Caravan Park right on the beach front.  The park, needless to say, was jam packed and I'm talking that this is the second week in February with 98% of the visitors being over 60 years.


We set up camp in a jiffy, which meant that Daniel was getting so much better each time! This time we also added the side awning for a little more privacy because it was really packed. We wasted no time on getting our information on what to see on the Yorke Peninsula and had planned the next week of our stay.  Here in Port Vincent we were spending two nights before we would head off for Marion Bay and further on.


We visited the town centre and took a drive through the new building estate on the marina, called Vincents Landing.  Homes being built were mostly double storey and all had private jetties. We checked out suitable fishing spots for that evening and found a coastal trail to ride next day.


Daniel bought a cray pot, bait and rope for tonight's fishing expedition.  After tea we headed down to Port Vincent's wharf and jetty and didn't waste any time in throwing in the fishing rods or the craypot. They always say that 'patience is a virtue' and to be true we waited patiently.  I decided to hit the other side on the jetty and try my luck there.   With baited breath I waited, pulling up my basket i couldn't believe that I retrieved my first Blue Swimmer Crab!  I whistled across to Daniel and as I walked very quickly with my prize catch a lovely man took the crab from my net and passed it over to Daniel as I raced back for another go.


In the end we succeeded in catching nine crabs between us.  Took them home, cooked them and they were ready for tomorrow's lunch.  Another lazy day over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment