Thursday, December 8, 2011

Wagga Wagga, NSW

Two little Fellas..Atlas and Basil
As any mother or father can tell you, that to see a child that you have not seen for some distance in between is so warming. From Gundagai we were now well on our way truly on our road back home to Victoria but not without visiting our daughter Monika and Matt in Wagga Wagga.  To say the least I believe that we were both a little quiet about our excitement to see them both before they headed out on their Christmas holidays before heading onto Brisbane as their next home base.

On arrival we were greeted by their two Dachsunds, Atlas(who had been with us for 3 months in the previous year) but now also Basil,who they adopted.  We were their adopted grandparents to take them over for the next 5 weeks.  Atlas recognised us the moment we put our hands under the gated fence.  Basil, not sure, barked but overcame his shyness.
Daniel made it to the top standing!

What a poignant moment to see our little girl, who had grown into a beautiful young woman......who then decided to take her 'ageing parents' on this trek of 'The Rock', just outside Wagga (southern end).  Daniel, Monika, me and Atlas, trekked up this mountain range, which
took us about an hour and a half one way.  I swear my head was spinning with every step we took towards the top, I felt the ridge of the passage narrow as we escalated, Atlas was the rock climber as I managed to ( I swear I had to) paw myself towards the last 10 metres on my knees as they were beginning to descend, but I could not let them beat me. I had a challenge, a dream, a myth, reality check. whatever you want to call it.  It was just a special silent moment to see what she had achieved in her dreams for her, they did not come easy.

Monika on her way to the top of The Rock
We were fortunate enough that we found ourselves in an enclave of lovely younger people within their work and social groups. We felt very priveliged to share this with Monika and Matt.  However, my concern was that we had to get the 'little fellas' to get used to us and coming home with us.
I knew the worst part would be putting them on a plane bound for Brisbane, their new home, we would miss them both.  But for now they're on a four week holiday with us!






Are we there yet?????


At the top of The Rock with Atlas


Monika does a good job!

The view from here was spectacular









No comments:

Post a Comment